_______________________________________

_______________________________________

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Black Elixir of the Gods

It all started a few years ago.

The company where I work, they give us lunch each day (I know, I know, I am spoilt). They put out a spread, meat, some salad etc and you make your own sambo. It was good.

So, a few years ago we got a special treat - Coke. One day in the fridge there is a tray of Coke. Of course we all went a bit silly, as we didnt know how long it would last. By the end of the week as the tray of coke was being replaced, we realised it was a magical endless supply of coke. It was very good.

Soon it became the norm to have a can of coke a day with lunch, if you had a really bad day one in the morning one in the evening - but that was a rare event. Now, I'm not saying I'm an addict or anything, but if I didn't get my Coke a day, I was a surly man. (moreso than usual). Keep in mind, I dont drink coffee so this is my caffine hit for the day.

Anyway, the sad day came, when we lost out magical supply... and I went through the 7 stages of withdrawl. The nightsweats were the worst. But to cut a long story short, I survived.

But then it happened again last month. The magic supply started! The resolve was not to become dependant again, but within a week, I was an addict again. The world seemed more colourful, roses smelled more beautiful... I dont care if I am addicted, it makes me happy. Its all good.

But in the cruelest twist of fate, as my addictinon grew tendrils into my very being, this is what I saw...
The gods are mocking me. An empty fridge, deviod of coke. Why O why am I tormented like this? Surely my life is nothing more than a joke.... (At this point in time, I'd like to point out that the addiction is not strong enough that I would shell out money to buy a can of coke - that's just silly). Anyway, back to the lamenting - there is a world without coke, and it is a sad world people.
So as I am wondering around the office, surly JOe is back... life is a pack of festering boils or as Laura says 'life's just a big barrel of acid'. I know I should be trying to get over this love affair with Coke - but its soooo good. So as we (the rest of the boys at work) are trying to figure out how we can live in a coke devoid world, the gods look down and smile... they see the tortured soul and relent.

The pallet of coke is back. How lovely is that sight! My love affair will continue - they know how to keep the workers happy all it takes is that beautifull black liquid - the gift of the gods... Coke!

So the world is back on its normal course. There is coke, in the fridge. I can blog again.


Life is good.